July 14, 2015

Travel Tuesday: Savannah

With fourth of July weekend having come and gone, I was remembering the trip Mike and I took last year to Savannah and Tybee Island. At that point, we were one month into what would be our 10 month long-distance relationship. At the time, he was in Atlanta, so I flew down and we made the four hour drive to Savannah's beach, Tybee Island (see our Tybee trip here) for Independence Day.

We stayed two nights in Savannah at the River Street Inn, originally a cotton warehouse in the 1800s, renovated into a boutique hotel on the riverfront, located in the historic district.
I loved our room!

Looking out of our window at the boats in the Savannah River.

After our first day at Tybee Island, we drove to Savannah to check-in to the hotel and unpack. Since it was raining, we had the perfect opportunity to venture over to Moon River Brewing Company (in between downpours I may add!) We enjoyed a beer sampler and two delicious appetizers-- Stuffed Mushrooms (Mexican chorizo and blue cheese, topped with chipotle creama) and Devils on Horseback (bacon wrapped dates generously stuffed with almonds and roasted.)
We passed The Cotton Exchange during our walk to Moon River.

Savannah City Hall

Enjoying our time at Moon River

After the rain stopped and our bellies were full, we walked along River Street.
A container ship from Yorktown, VA!

A gorgeous sunset behind the Talmadge Memorial Bridge after the rain.

The Marshall House on Broughton Street

The line for Leopold's Ice Cream on Broughton Street

Those of you who know us, know very well we both have a sweet tooth! We wanted to get ice cream from Leopold's but were too impatient to wait in the line, so we walked back to River Street and into River Street Sweets to try pralines and buy some fudge. Let me tell you, we were not disappointed!
Watching the praline process and Mike deciding which fudge to get!

Sunday morning, we had brunch at Huey's on the River, literally down the stairs from the Inn. We tried the beignets with warm praline sauce (Oh. My. Goodness. YUM!) and each ordered an omelette.

After brunch, we had to get some exercise and last minute sight seeing. We went to Forsyth Park, saw the fountain and beautiful southern houses on Whitaker Street. Afterwards, we packed up and got on the road to head back to Atlanta, where I would catch my flight back to Richmond.
Two gorgeous homes on Whitaker Street

Another view of those homes

What a wonderful holiday weekend spent appreciating food and history in a beautiful city with my beau :)

No comments:

Post a Comment